Learn the following advantages of Spotlight:
At the municipal library (Stadtbibliothek) you can read and borrow it free.
Texts are divided into three levels (easy, medium, difficult), which means that you can choose articles according to your linguistic skills.
German summaries help you to find articles that you are interested in.
Translations of difficult and/or unknown words (with phonetic transcriptions) save time because you need not look them up in a dictionary.
A wide range of topics increases the chance that you find something interesting. It is no problem to borrow older copies because there are only few texts about current affairs.
Grammar and vocabulary exercises help to improve your English.
Spoken English prepares you for everyday situations (you can listen to the dialogues on the CD)
Background information on language and culture may be helpful for school.
There is also a Spotlight website.
Do the following homework:
- Choose a LONGER (= at least TWO pages!) article that you find interesting and study it.
- Prepare a short talk about “your” text, if possible speak loud.
- Think of an interesting beginning. Do NOT begin with: „My text is about …“ or „I’m going to talk about …“
- If necessary read the text again and try once more.
- Practise until you can present your text fluently from memory WITHOUT any notes.